As a young boy, Fred C. Phillips, started work in 1899 as a "screw slotter" at a manufacturing plant in Chicopee, Ma. He held jobs as a hand miller, an operator of hand and automatic screw machines and trained for six years in the tool room. Fred then was the manager of a precision machine products company, and after rising to the title of partner, his progressive and talented spirit got the better of him and he was ready for new challenges.
The date was December 16, 1911, and Fred C. Phillips, started the F.C. Phillips Co, Inc. After three years, Fred was ready to expand, and purchased four lots of land at 471 Washington St, Stoughton, Ma. This has been our current location ever since.
In 1913, an addition was added to the first building. As early as 1914, the F. C. Phillips Company had a reputation for manufacturing high-quality screw machined products, and was a well established company recognized by all trades as a reliable source for custom made items. From 1922 to 1948 was a period that witnessed great growth and during this time, the Phillips lock golf spikes became famous throughout the world.
In 1929, our company pioneered the automatic spark control for Ford Motor Company's "Model A's". One of Ford Motor posters hangs in the F. C. Phillips, Inc. front foyer. The plant kept growing, and even during the Depression Era, Mr. Phillips attended the New York City Golf Show and carried the company name into the South Atlantic states. By 1962, thirty-four expansions had taken place and a typical story of American growth, and ingenuity unfolded.
Today, all operations are carried out under one roof, and the second and third generations of management which began with Fred C. Phillips are continuing the success of the company, and our products are known internationally. A great personal and traditional American story supporting a "Made in America" theme consistently, for over 100 years and still going strong!